old school building new school building
The image on the left is Lower Takaka District High School 1908. The image on the right is the Takaka Primary School now.

Takaka Primary School opened on 1 February 1972. The first Principal was Mr P McLeod and the school roll was 242. The first school known as Lower Takaka School opened in 1861 and was situated on the site of the present Golden Bay High School. In 1908, the school was expanded to cater for senior students and was renamed Lower Takaka District High School. The word Lower was dropped from its name in 1936

By 1972, roll increases and changes in education led to the separation of the secondary and primary departments with Takaka Primary being built on its present site behind the original school. The 1972 school year ended with a picnic in the school grounds giving the parents an opportunity to view the grounds and inspect all the school buildings.

Two new classrooms (Rooms 8 & 9) and a library were added in 1974 because of roll increases. In 2001 the hall was built and in 2006, the administration block was upgraded.

The Golden Bay Kindergarten opened in May 2008 and is situated behind the hall in Takaka Primary School grounds.